Table of Contents
January 17, 2024
Drata vs Vanta: A Comprehensive Comparison of Compliance Automation Solutions
Introduction to Compliance Automation
Compliance automation revolutionizes the way businesses handle regulatory requirements, ensuring they meet standards effortlessly and efficiently. At the heart of this transformation, Drata and Vanta emerge as pioneering solutions, significantly simplifying the once complex and tedious process of staying compliant. In this article, we delve into the features, benefits, and differences between Drata vs Vanta, providing insights to help businesses choose the solution that best fits their compliance needs.
In today’s fast-paced business world, compliance is not just a necessity but a critical component for maintaining trust and credibility. It safeguards businesses against legal pitfalls and enhances their reputation in the market. Drata vs Vanta stand at the forefront of this landscape, offering innovative tools that streamline the compliance process.
Drata, with its robust framework, specializes in automating security and compliance processes, reducing the manual workload and potential for human error. Vanta, on the other hand, focuses on continuous compliance monitoring, ensuring businesses stay aligned with industry standards at all times. These platforms not only offer peace of mind but also a strategic advantage in an increasingly regulated business environment.
Background of the Companies
Drata’s journey began with a mission to make the complex world of compliance more accessible and manageable for businesses of all sizes. Since its inception, the company has dedicated itself to providing an automated platform that simplifies the compliance process, ensuring businesses can easily meet various standards and regulations.
Key features and services of Drata include:
- Automated Compliance Monitoring: Drata offers continuous monitoring of a business’s systems, ensuring they remain compliant with standards like SOC 2, ISO 27001, and more.
- Streamlined Evidence Collection: The platform automates the collection of evidence needed for compliance audits, saving time and reducing errors.
- Integration with Existing Tools: Drata seamlessly integrates with a wide array of tools and services, allowing for efficient tracking and management of compliance data.
- Customizable Controls and Frameworks: Businesses can tailor controls and frameworks to fit their specific needs, ensuring a personalized compliance journey.
Vanta started with a vision to demystify and streamline the compliance process for companies, especially those in the technology sector. Their approach revolves around making compliance an attainable goal for startups and established businesses alike, removing barriers and complexities traditionally associated with compliance.
Key features and services of Vanta include:
- Continuous Compliance Tracking: Vanta provides real-time tracking of a company’s compliance status, ensuring they are always prepared for audits and regulatory reviews.
- Automated Security Practices: The platform automates key security practices, helping businesses maintain high standards of data protection and security.
- Diverse Compliance Framework Support: Vanta supports a range of compliance frameworks, including HIPAA, GDPR, SOC 2, and others, making it a versatile choice for various industries.
- User-Friendly Interface: Designed with usability in mind, Vanta’s interface simplifies the management of compliance tasks, making it accessible even for those new to compliance.
Both Drata vs Vanta have carved out significant niches in the compliance automation market, each bringing unique strengths and capabilities to the table. Their offerings reflect a deep understanding of the challenges businesses face in maintaining compliance and a commitment to easing this burden through technology and innovation.
Key Features Comparison
At the time of this writing, here’s the current list of Security and Privacy Frameworks supported by each platform:
|NIST SP 800-53
|NIST SP 800-171
|NIST AI RMF
|CCM (Cloud Controls Matrix)
|AWS FTR (Foundational Technical Review)
Vanta has the clear advantage in terms of number of supported frameworks but both support the most commonly used frameworks with the ability to import your own.
Integration capabilities play a pivotal role in how effectively these platforms can automate and manage compliance processes. Both platforms have the necessary integrations for core components: HRIS, IdP, Asset/Inventory, MDM, Version Control Systems, and Task Management. We have found that Vanta’s API is more comprehensive allowing for more automation tasks to be performed while Drata’s API is mainly for querying data for reporting purposes and lacks the ability to make major changes.
Drata vs Vanta Integrations Capabilities
- Drata has over 120+ integrations that perform comprehensive checks beyond account provisioning with automated tests. The majority of popular apps are supported by Drata.
- Offers integration with a wide range of cloud services, including AWS, Google Cloud, and Azure, facilitating the management of cloud-based resources.
- Integrates with popular HR systems, ensuring that employee data and access rights are consistently managed in line with compliance requirements.
- Provides integration with developer tools such as GitHub and Jira, aiding in secure and compliant software development processes.
- Drata has an open API https://developers.drata.com/docs/
- We find that Drata’s focus on automation is a double edged sword where basic things such as being able to add a user manually are not supported.
- With over 300+ integrations, we have found that Vanta’s integration catalog to be expansive but lacks in depth. The integrations primarily automate the testing of user-associated accounts and the deprovisioning of accounts when offboarding employees. Vanta also checks for compliance with controls like credential management, authentication process etc.
- Similar to Drata, Vanta integrates with major cloud service providers, helping manage and secure cloud infrastructure.
- Offers integrations with HR systems, streamlining employee onboarding and offboarding processes in compliance with various regulations.
- Incorporates connections with sales and customer management tools, like Salesforce, to maintain compliance in customer data management.
- Vanta has an open API for partners and customers to utilize to run their own queries https://developer.vanta.com/
- While Vanta allows you to add users manually, it only has a basic ability to let you add manual assets with just the name, description and owner of the asset.
User Interface and Experience
Vanta vs Drata Ease of Use
The user interfaces of Drata vs Vanta play a crucial role in how users interact with their respective platforms, impacting overall user experience and satisfaction.
- The interface stands out for its clear and intuitive design, allowing users to navigate easily with direct access to key features and functions. Its straightforward nature particularly benefits businesses new to compliance automation.
- The dashboard actively offers a comprehensive view of the compliance status, using visual indicators for continuous monitoring that swiftly inform users of their current state and necessary actions.
- However, the UI’s simplicity sometimes results in hiding various items behind support center document links and non-intuitive menus.
- While Drata’s UI is user-friendly and makes it easy to check the status of a control, it could improve in showing what is required for control readiness. Typically, this involves uploading manual evidence, a process that could be made more straightforward.
- Vanta’s interface is designed with a focus on user-friendliness, offering a clean and organized layout. Users appreciate the minimalistic approach, which reduces complexity and learning time.
- The platform features a basic dashboard that shows the overall progress towards compliance. We find that it lacks the ability to clearly determine what actions are required at the time of viewing.
- Vanta’s platform actively guides users towards achieving compliance, but its user interface, with its heavy emphasis on Common Control Framework mappings, can easily become monotonous and lead users to feel lost.
- Some quirks include the fact that Vanta likes to open new browser windows and its easy to lose track of how you got a certain page. It’s also not clear how remediate a Control, it seems that you need all the Tests and Documents to be remediated first.
Onboarding Process Drata vs Vanta
The onboarding process for each platform is a critical component of the user experience, determining how quickly and effectively users can start leveraging the platforms for compliance management.
- Drata’s onboarding process is structured and guided. New users receive a clear roadmap of steps to follow, which includes setting up integrations, defining compliance frameworks, and configuring settings. You can not deviate from this onboarding process!
- Onboarding typically involves a mix of self-service resources and direct support, ensuring users can quickly become proficient with the platform.
- Vanta offers a streamlined onboarding experience, emphasizing ease of setup. The process includes automated guides and checklists that help users set up their accounts, integrate their systems, and start monitoring compliance.
- The platform also provides educational resources and templates, assisting users in understanding compliance requirements and how to meet them using Vanta.
Customer Support Vanta vs Drata
The level and quality of customer support offered by Drata vs Vanta significantly affect user satisfaction and the ability to effectively utilize the platforms.
- Drata offers comprehensive in-app customer support, including access to compliance experts, which can be invaluable for businesses navigating complex compliance landscapes.
- The in-app ability to chat with an expert makes it easy to use, and response times have been excellent.
- The online support documentation is also good,
- Users have access to a knowledgeable team that can assist with both technical and compliance-related queries but you need to open the inquiry in their support portal which they do a good job of hiding leading you more towards the self service options.
- Vanta also offers an extensive knowledge base and community forums for peer support and shared learning.
Both Drata and Vanta prioritize user experience, offering intuitive interfaces and comprehensive onboarding processes. While Drata focuses on a more guided onboarding experience with extensive direct support, Vanta leans towards a more self-guided approach with robust educational resources. Their customer support systems are both well-regarded, ensuring users receive the necessary assistance for their compliance management needs.
Pricing and Plans
As an MSP partner for both Vanta and Drata, we can not provide details into their direct pricing models. Bright Defense offers both platforms with all the features including Risk Management and Trust Center which are normally additional cost if you go direct. Pricing is based off the number of frameworks and employee count in the platforms. Bright Defense is able to offer both platforms fully managed with our Continuous Compliance programs. We select the platform that will best fit the customer’s overall compliance goals, tech stack and level of interactions the customer will have directly with the platform.
Security and Reliability
As you would expect from a SaaS based compliance automation platform provider, both eat their own dog food with SOC 2 Type II, ISO 27001, HIPAA compliance and more. You can view all this in their respective Trust Centers. Both platforms utilize extensive end-to-end encryption technologies, perform regular security audits and monitoring, along with prioritizing advanced threat detection.
Pros and Cons of Drata and Vanta
- Automated Compliance Monitoring: Drata excels in automated monitoring, providing continuous oversight over control testing and compliance status, which is crucial for businesses needing constant vigilance.
- Integration with Developer Tools: Its strong and deep integration capabilities, particularly with developer tools and cloud services, make it an excellent choice for tech-focused companies that are Cloud native.
- In-App Customer Support: With the ability to chat with experts right inside the platform, Drata makes it easy to get answers quickly and efficiently.
- Potentially Overwhelming for Smaller Businesses: The platform’s extensive features and robustness may exceed smaller businesses’ needs, leading to resource underutilization.
- Learning Curve: The platform’s comprehensive nature may pose a steeper learning curve for new users, especially those less experienced in compliance matters.
- Automation checks: Each automation test performs a distinct check and if you’re not doing it exactly as Drata prescribes the test will fail. Compliance managers need to dive into the details of the tests and don’t take it for face value.
- User-Friendly Interface: Vanta’s clean, organized, and intuitive interface enhances user navigation and compliance task management.
- Broad Compliance Framework Support: The platform’s support for a diverse range of compliance frameworks, including country and industry specific frameworks.
- Access and Vulnerability Management: Vanta has modules for access review to streamline the cumbersome process and the ability to track vulnerabilities in the platform with an integration to a third party scanner such as Snyk.
- Depth Shortcomings: Vanta’s integrations and documentation fall short in detailing what is tested, leaving admins uncertain about the actual tests and outcomes.
- Vanta’s Claims Can’t be Validated: Vanta’s assertion of automating 90% of security and privacy frameworks holds only if users fully adopt their integrations, leaving numerous manual tasks otherwise.
- Higher Price Point: Generally, Vanta’s pricing exceeds Drata’s. While both tools justify their costs, Vanta may not suit everyone’s needs.
Word of Caution on Automation
Having the best tools and automation doesn’t automatically safeguard your data. Ensure that the automated tests align closely with your product’s architecture. Remember, people pose the greatest risk to an organization; therefore, conducting regular and comprehensive security awareness training is essential for maintaining a robust security program. Having a CISO to guide you through this process whether it’s a full time or fractional vCISO are critical to help startups and anyone exploring compliance. It’s like trying to climb Mount Everest without a sherpa. You will want someone that has done it numerous times before and can help you effectively reach your goals.
In summary, Drata and Vanta both offer strong features in compliance automation, but they cater to slightly different needs and preferences. Drata is a robust choice for tech-focused businesses needing customizable controls and extensive integration capabilities, though it might be complex for smaller businesses. Vanta, with its user-friendly interface and broad compliance support, is versatile for various business sizes but may lack the depth of developer tool integrations that some cloud native companies require.
Both companies have received significant funding, $203M for Vanta and $328M for Drata and over 4 rounds, cementing their places as #1 and #2 in the compliance automation space. Drata and Vanta, are both leaders in compliance automation and they are each others fiercest rival. If one comes out with a new feature, you can bet that a few months later the other will have the same.
About Bright Defense
Bright Defense offers three Continuous Cybersecurity Compliance-as-a-Service packages to fit various needs and stages of an SMB’s compliance journey. All packages include a compliance automation platform like Drata or Vanta.
- Sentry – Geared towards the do-it-yourself firms that are IT savvy and have a good handle on security. You can utilize our block of vCISO hours for various activities, including Risk Assessment, developing Incident Response playbooks, conducting Incident Response tabletop exercises, planning, developing, and testing Business Continuity/Disaster Recovery (BC/DR), preparing for and advising on audits, conducting Internal Audits, and planning IT Strategy.
- Guardian – Is our end-to-end delivery of a fully managed and robust Information Security Program all the way through pre-audit preparation. Customers can choose to bring in there own auditor from there.
- Defender – This plan has all the features and benefits of Guardian along with annual SOC 2 audit with a US based AICPA firm and monthly vulnerability scanning. This is the whole shebang!
If you’re interested in seeing a demo of Drata or Vanta, let us know!